- The thyroid gland plays a primary role in your energy level, muscle growth, metabolic rate, and brain function.
- Hypothyroidism is a common disorder in which the body’s ability to produce enough thyroid hormone is insufficient. Conditions associated with a low thyroid vary from person to person and may include high cholesterol, high blood pressure, metabolic syndrome, menstrual irregularities, infertility, PMS, PCOS, fibrocystic breast disease, and psoriasis.
- Frequently, people are given T4 (levothyroxine) as the only option to treat their thyroid condition. This conventional approach can be beneficial but if a practitioner relies solely on T4, many people will continue to suffer and be deprived of effective treatment. At the Center, we comprehensively evaluate a patient’s thyroid and will support the thyroid nutritionally and with supplements, in addition to using synthetic or natural sources of T4 and T3, either alone or in combination with one another.
- If you are not appropriately diagnosed and treated, hypothyroidism can become severely debilitating and life threatening. However, by addressing the thyroid imbalance comprehensively and appropriately, one can enjoy a high quality of life.
Take the Thyroid Quiz to see if you may be experiencing hypothyroidism.
1. Are you frequently fatigued?
2. Do your hands and/or feet often feel cold?
3. Does your head feel heavy or tired?
4. Is your throat area swollen or do you have a non-smoking related voice-strain problem (i.e. weak, raspy, or course voice)?
5. Is the outside portion of your eyebrows thinning or gone?
6. Do you have rough or dry skin, especially on your elbows?
7. Is your hair falling out or thinning?
8. Are your muscles weak, achy, or prone to cramping?
9. Do your fingernails have vertical ridges and/or break, crack, split, or peal?
10. Are you constipated on a daily basis?